Friday, November 11, 2011

11 years, Mi Corazon!

Mi Corazon, Reyes y Osito!
I fell in love 11 years ago today...11/11/00! Little did I know how much my world would change. Mi Corazon (Reyes) had recently immigrated from Honduras and spoke no English. I spoke no Spanish. We had friends translate for us and on our first date, we used dictionaries. The waitress laughed at us! But, we made it...I bought the book, Spanish for Dummies, and quickly overcame any trepidation when it came to using my "caveman" Spanish as my friend, Luz called it. We were in love! Everyone knew it! And, everyone supported us! We were married on March 20, 2001.

Fast forward...we were unable to have children, which made us very sad. However, God had an amazing plan laid out for us and we began our adoption journey in January 2009. We were visiting my mother-in-law near San Pedro Sula, Honduras and we intended to meet with Honduran attorneys, visit orphanages and learn the ropes. What we learned was very discouraging, to say the least! My mother-in-law had physical custody of her three, young grandchildren. Her health was in decline and she suggested we try to adopt our 7 year old twin niece and nephew and their 5 year old little brother.

Through many storms we have travelled these past several years! Our adoption journey has seen massive earthquakes, flooding/hurricanes, an inexperienced lawyer, massive bureaucracy, a change in attorneys, court delays, a coup, a messy election, paperwork snafus, several strikes and many other challenges. But, we fight on...inspired by those who have successfully made it through and the hope of one day being together as a family! We dream and we pray and we invite you to join us... Bienvenidos a nuestra jornada!!!!

1 comment: